The MCB curriculum is designed to prepare you for a wide spectrum of career opportunities. Please follow this link outlining all the possibilities aforded to students in the MCB curriculum.
--> All Campus Career Fair March 18, 2014!!!
Upcoming workshops that can help with career fair prep:
Selling Your LAS Degree at the All-Campus Career Fair:
• For Social Science Students: Monday, March 10 at 6pm; Lincoln Hall 1065
• For Humanities Students: Tuesday, March 11 at 6pm; Lincoln Hall 1065
• For Sciences Students: Wednesday, March 12 at 6pm; Lincoln Hall 1002
Resume Blitz with Employers • Thursday, March 13, 12 – 3pm, The Career Center Interview Suite, 616 E. Green
Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship - The Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship Program for the Fall 2014 semester includes two (2) $10,000 scholarships and four (4) $5,000 scholarships, to be awarded to undergraduate and graduate students with a declared major of biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or a related life-science field. To qualify for the scholarship, students must have a GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and be enrolled in an accredited college for university for the Fall 2014 semester. In addition to these qualifications, students must also be legal United States residents, meaning that students possessing appropriate Visa status in order to study in the United States are also eligible. The deadline is Aug. 1, 2014
|Big 10 Career Fair Expo||9 - 3 pm, March 14, 2014 at Union Station in Indianapolis IN|
|Research Park Career Fair||4:30 - 6:30, April 2, 2014 at the Atkins Building (1st & St. Mary's Rd)|
|All-Campus Career Fair||March 18, 2014|
|ECS Spring Engineering Career Fair||From 10:30 - 3:30, Feb 18 - 19, 2014 at the ARC|
|Spring Engineering Employment Expo||From 10 - 4 pm, Feb 13, 2014 at the ARC|
|Spring Business Career Fair||From 12 - 4 pm, Feb 4 & 5, 2014|
|Opportunities Fair||From 5:30 - 7 pm, Jan 28, 2014 at The Career Center. Come meet with campus units who are hiring students.|
|Student Open House @ Research Park||Opens at EnterpriseWorks ends at the Sony Building Nov 7, 2013 4:30 - 6:30pm|
|Graduate and Professional School Fair||Illini Union rooms A, B, and C Oct 16 1 - 5pm|
|ACES and Sciences Career Fair||The ARC — Oct 3, 2013 1:30 - 5pm|
The following is a regularly updated list of graduate programs from around the world that have contacted SMCB expressing interest in our students. Some posts are regarding general information others are for specific and timely events.
|Post date||Institution — Program — Location — Date & Time (if a presentation) or Submission Deadline|
|February 26, 2014||University of Pennsylvania — Post Baccalaureate Pre-Health programs — Philadelphia, PA — Summer Admission deadline is April 1, 2014, Fall is July 15|
|February 26, 2014||University of Notre Dame — ESTEEM (professional Master’s Program with a focus on Entrepreneurship)|
|February 20, 2014||Des Moine University — Discover DMU — Des Moine IA — April 4, 2014|
|February 6, 2014||Iowa State University — A one-year, non-thesis Master's in Biomedical Sciences — Ames, IA — May1, 2014|
|January 7, 2014||University of Cincinnati — Immunobiology Graduate Program — Cincinnati, OH|
|December 7, 2013||UMass Amherst — One-year Microbiology M.S. in Food Science — Amherst, MA — Application deadline is February 1, 2014|
|December 3, 2013||Univeristy of Massachusetts — Professional 1-Year Microbiology MS in Applied Molecular Biotechnology — Amherst, MA — Dec 20, 2013|
|November 25, 2013||University of Colorado-Denver — Structural Biology and Biochemistry Ph.D. Program — Denver, CO — Dec 1, 2013|
|October 15, 2013||University of Massachusetts Amherst — 1-Year Professional M.S. Degree in Food Science|
|October 11, 2013||UIC - Department of Biological Sciences annual Open House — Chicago, IL — 10-4 Friday October 25th|
|October 7, 2013||Purdue University — Purdue University Interdisciplinary Life Science Ph.D. Program (PULSe) Open House — West Lafayette, IN — November 1, 2013|
|October 7, 2013||UMass Amherst — One-year Microbiology M.S. in Applied Molecular Biotechnology — Amherst, MA — Application deadline is December 1, 2013|
|October 1, 2013||Washington University — Plant and Microbial Biosciences — St. Louis, MO|
|October 1, 2013||Marquette University — Science Graduate Programs Open house — Milwaukee WI — November 2, 12013, Deadline October 25, 2013. See link for sign up|
|September 27, 2013||University of Michigan — Program in Biomedical Sciences — Ann Arbor, MI— December 1, 2013|
|September 17, 2013||Marquette University — Biological Sciences — Milwaukee, WI|
|September 4, 2013||Variouss — Big Ten+ Graduate School Exposition — Lafayette, IN (Purdue University) — October 20 - 21, 2013|
|Post Date||Company / Institution — Details|
|January 17, 2013||The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) — 2014 Summer Research Program.|
|October 1, 2013||Dow AgroSciences — Summer R&D internship. See link for more information.|
|September 26, 2013||Eli Lilly — Manufacturing Science. See link for more information.|
|September 25, 2013||BioAnalytics Inc. — Located in Research Park. Will be part of interdisciplinary teams developing research based products. See link for more information.|
|Post Date||Company — Position — Type — Location — Application Deadline|
|February 18, 2014||Chicago Teaching Fellows — Secondary Eduacation Teacher — Chicago — revolving|
|September 26, 2013||Eli Lilly — Manufacturing Science Associate — Full Time — Varrious|
|September 18, 2013||Woodrow Wilson Fellowship Foundation — The Woodrow Wilson Teaching Fellowships — Princeton, NJ — Full Time plus stipend for masters program—October 15, 2013|
|Post Date||Institution — Program — Location — Application Deadline|
|January 14, 2013||University of Connecticut — Health Center Undergraduate Summer Research — Farmington, CT|
|January 14, 2013||University of South Florida — Summer Enrichment for the Health Professions — Tampa, FL — March 14, 2014|
|January 14, 2013||University of Texas - Houston Medical School — Summer Research Program — Houston, TX —|
|January 14, 2013||Albert Einstein College of Medicine — Summer Undergraduate Research Program — Bronx, NY — February 1, 2014|
|January 13, 2014||American Society for Microbiology — ASM Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program — February 1, 2014|
|January, 13, 2014||University of Michigan — Department of Molecular & Integrative Physiology Summer Fellowship — Ann Arbor, MI — February 15, 2014|
|January 9, 2014||University of Michigan — Samuel & Jean Frankel Cardiovascular Center REU — Ann Arbor, MI — January 31, 2014|
|January 8, 2014||University of Chicago — Chicago Center for Systems Biology REU — Chicago, IL — February 10, 2014|
|December 10, 2013||UC Berkeley — Amgen Scholars Program — Berkeley, CA — Feb 3, 2014|
|December 9, 2013||University of Chicago — The Conte Center for Computational Neuropsychiatric Genomics — Chicago, IL — Feb 10, 2014|
|December 6, 2013||Des Moines University — Health Professions Advanced Summer Scholars program — Des Moines, IA — March 1, 2014|
|November 21, 2013||Mayo Clinic — Mayo Illinois Alliance for Technology Based Healthcare — Rochester, MN — Feb 1, 2014|
|November 21, 2013||UC San Diego — Amgen — San Diego, CA — Feb 3, 2014|
|November 21, 2013||Caltech — Amgen — Pasadena, CA — Feb 14, 2014|
|November 21, 2013||Caltech — MURF — Pasadena, CA — Jan 8, 2014|
|September 12, 2013||Harvard Medical School — CCV Summer Undergraduate Research Intership Program— Boston, MA— March 7, 2014|
Workshops and Seminars
|Selling Your LAS Degree at Business Career Fair||This workshop teaches LAS students how to "sell" themselves to employers at the Business Career Fair. Learn how to prepare, what companies to look for, what to say, and how to follow-up afterward. Wednesday January 29, 2014 1065 Lincoln Hall.|
|Information session: School of Public and Environmental Affairs at IU Bloomington||School of Public and Environmental Affairs at Indiana University-Bloomington will be hosting an information session for their graduate degree programs. Wednesday November 20th. 2013 3:00pm The Career Center.|
|What Your Parents Can't Teach You About Finding a Job||Join Joshua Waldman, social media expert and author of Job Searching With Social Media For Dummies, as he gives tips and tricks on how to find a job using social media. Nov. 7, 2013 6-7pm 112 Gregory Hall.|
|Winter Break Job Shadow Program||
The Career Center is launching a Winter Break Job Shadow Program! This program is a one-day commitment over winter break, where students (undergrad freshmen, sophomores, and juniors) will have the opportunity to engage with a company of interest and foster potential career opportunities. The Winter Break Job Shadow Program will include a variety of industries and is open to ALL MAJORS.
|Researcher Your Future in Science Seminar||Procter & Gamble will be hosting their annual Researcher Your Future in Science Seminar during the Summer of 2014. The Deadline is March 14, 2014.|
|UI Campus Resources for International Careers||Part of the International Careers Workshop Series 2013 - 2014. Wednesday October 30,, 2013 6:30-8:30 pm, 1092 Lincoln Hall|
SMCB provides links to realiable and trusted resouces for its students concerning career choices. These resources are monitored routinely and new items are added on an ongoing basis. So, please be sure to check back from time to time.
- The Career Center. The Career Center serves all students of The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign regarding professional and career development. Through collaborative and innovative programs, services, and resources, the staff seeks to educate and empower students to actively plan their futures as contributing members of a global community.
- Job Search 101 videos. Provided by the Career Center.
- The U of I's Virtual Job Board, an excelllent resource for current on-campus openings. There are typically one or more laboratory positions available at any given time.
- I-Link at the Career Center. Students can search for internships, employment opportunities, as well as sign-up for interviews, and view a full calendar of career programs and events.
- MCB Intership Overview: A guide to finding biology-related internships in industry, government and academia.
- "Making the Most of Career Fairs" - an article from Science Magazine adapted by Heather Minks, Director of Biotechnology Career Services.
- How to Attend and Get the Most Out of a Virtual Job Fair - a good article on utilizing this valuable resource.
- 11 Reasons Graduates Lose Out on Jobs - an interesting article from the Undercover Recruiter.
- MastersDegreeOnline.org - provides tons of information for current and prospective graduate students. A master’s degree is becoming more popular because of the excess in bachelor’s degree holders competing for a fixed number of jobs. They have built a directory that contains over 90,000 program listings and allows you to determine which program features are most important to you so you can identify the program that best matches your personal interests and career goals. They have also created a database of over 5,000 scholarships for graduate and post-graduate study areas which interested student can pursue to help finance their education.
- Accredited Online College Degree Programs - The site provides a comprehensive and informative resource that sorts out schools with accredited degree programs. It can be specifically filtered according to the degree level and the subjects/programs of your choice. If you type the name of your school in the 'Search for a school' box, it will appear that it's included in the list of Schools offering Accredited degree programs. This is free to use and will remain open to all users.