Careers Development Archives 2014 - 2015
The MCB curriculum is designed to prepare you for a wide spectrum of career opportunities. Please see our Career Options for MCB Students Handout outlining many of the possibilities aforded to students in the MCB curriculum.
Handshake @ Illinois: Employers and Opportunities at Your Fingertips
Illinois' campus-wide recruiting platform, tens of thousands of jobs and internships are posted here annually.
Students and Recent Alumni Use Handshake @ Illinois to find:
- Jobs and Internships
- Upcoming Career Fairs
- On-campus Recruiting Events
- Networking Opportunities
- A Calendar of Career Programs and Events
Partial List of Companies Where Our Recent Grads are Employed
- AbbVie North Chicago, IL, Operations Development Program and Clinical Trial Operations Development Program
- Eli Lilly Indianapolis, Indiana, USA Scientist-Manufacturing Science
- Accenture, Management Consulting Analyst
- Cerner Kansas City, MO, Consulting Analyst
- Neurocognitive Kinesiology lab at UIUC, Research Technician
- CSL Behring Bradley IL, QC Chemistry Analyst
- Epic, Madison, WI, Quality Assurance
- ProAmbulance, Champaign IL, EMT-B
- Carle Foundation Hospital, plebotomist
- ScribeAmerica, Medical Scribe
- University of Illinois, Laboratory Technician
- Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Research Technician
- InnSight Technology
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Laboratory Technician
- Feinberg School of Medicine Chicago, IL, Research Technician
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Chicago, IL, Research Technologist
- UIUC Army ROTC, Champaign, IL, Gold Bar Recuiter
2016 ACES & Sciences Career Fair
Date: Thursday, October 6, 2016, 1:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Location: Activities and Recreation Center (ARC), 201 East Peabody Drive
Champaign, IL 61820
Click here for an employer list: directory of attendees.
This job fair provides companies, institutes and government agencies an opportunity to meet agribusiness and science students at all levels. The career fair will give representatives from your company a chance to share information about your career and intern opportunities.
Volunteer shifts start before the fair, continue during and also after the fair ends. If you would like to see what the fair is like and help make the fair a success, consider volunteering. To ensure a t-shirt, be sure to register by Sept. 25th.
Sign-up here: http://go.illinois.edu/CFVolunteer
LOOKING FOR A JOB OR INTERNSHIP?
With over 15,000 job & internship postings from 4,000+ companies, there are opportunities for ALL ILLINOIS STUDENTS on I-Link.
Login today at www.careercenter.illinois.edu/ilink.
Use I-Link to:
- Search for job and internship postings
- View list of companies at career fairs
- Schedule on-campus interviews
- Upload your resume
- Conduct a video mock interview
Are you a pre-health student? Looking for career enrichment opportunities? Check out ExploreHEALTHCareers.org. You can search by career, type and location.
Listed in chronological order. Check the bottom of the list for the most recent fair dates.
|Post date||Institution — Program — Location — Date & Time (if a presentation) or Submission Deadline|
|April 30, 2015||
Georgetown Univ. Medical Center & George Mason University —GeorgeSquared Advanced Biomedical Sciences Certificate Program — Manassas, VA
|Feb 10, 2015||Mount Holyoke College — Postbaccalaureate Pre-Medical Program —South Hadley, MA— February 27, 2015|
|Feb 8, 2015||Tufts Univsersity — Postbaccalaureate Premed Program — Medford/Somerville, MA — March 1, June 1, or November 1 for three different start dates|
|Dec 3, 2014||Columbia University — Postbac Premed — New York, NY — February 1, 2015|
|Dec 2, 2014||Mulitple — The SRF Summer Scholars Program: 2015 Regenerative Medicine Summer Internship Opportunities — Multiple|
|Sept 25, 2014||University of Colorado Boulder — Post-Baccalaureate Health Professions Program — Boulder, CO|
|Sept 22, 2014||George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences — Post-baccalaureate Pre-medicine Certificate Program — Ashburn, VA|
|Sept 18, 2014||Mount Holyoke Collge — Postbaccalaureate Pre-Medical Program — South Hadley, MA|
|September 9, 2014||Columbia University — Postbac Premed — New York, NY — November 1, 2014|
The following is a regularly updated list of graduate programs from around the world that have contacted SMCB expressing interest in our students. Some posts are regarding general information others are for specific and timely events.
|Post date||Institution — Program — Location — Date & Time (if a presentation) or Submission Deadline|
|May 11, 2015||Loyalo University - Master of Arts in Medical Sciences Program - Chicago, IL|
|May 6, 2015||Emory University — Juris Master (JM) in Health Law — Atlanta, GA|
|May 4, 2105||Lipscomb University — Master of Science in Biomolecular Science — Nashville, TN|
|April 27, 2015||University of Pennsylvania — VMD-phD Combined Degree Program — Kennett Square, PA|
|April 13, 2015||Eastern Mennonite University — MA in Biomedicine — Harrisonburg, VA|
|April 7, 2015||Rush University — MS in Biotechnology — Chicago, IL — May 15, 2015|
|March 29, 2015||Georgetown University — One-Year Masters Program in Physiology & Biophysics, Complementary & Alternative Medicine — Washingtron, D.C. — July 15, 2015|
|March 29, 2015||Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Yeshiva University) — Einstein-Cardozo Bioethics Program — Bronx, NY — April 1, 2015|
|March 11, 2015||Iowa State University — One Year Biomedical Sciences Program — Ames, IA|
|Feb 12, 2015||University of Illinois — Master of Science in Technology Management — Urbana, IL — May 1, 2015|
|Feb 10, 2015||Claremont Graduate University — NSF Teacher Education Fellowship (Information Registration Session)— Claremont, CA — March 1, 2015|
|Feb 8, 2015||Duke University — MA in Bioethics and Science Policy: online information sessions — February 23 & March 17, 2015|
|Feb 6, 2015||University of Illinois — The Master of Public Health (MPH) program — Urbana, IL — February 27 (Info session) & April 1 (deadline)|
|Jan 27, 2015||University of Miami — Master of Science in Nursing, Nursing Informatics — Coral Gables, FL|
|Jan 27, 2015||Washington University — The Division of Biology and Biomedical Sciences — St. Louis|
|Jan 27, 2015||Washington University — Plant & Microbial Biosciences Program — St. Louis|
|Jan 27, 2015||Carnegie Mellon University — Department of Biological Sciences — Pittsburgh, PA|
|Jan 14, 2015||Washington University — Master of Public Health— St. Louis — March 1, 2015|
|Jan 9, 2015||Rush University — Multiple in the Gradaute College— Chicago, IL|
|Dec 12, 2014||Iowa State University —1 Year MS in Biomedical Sciences — Ames, IA — May1, 2015|
|Dec 2, 2014||Rush University — MS & PhD in Biomedical Science Programs — Chicago, IL — January 1st for best scholarship consideration|
|Nov 29, 2014||Duke University — MA in Bioethics and Science Policy — Durham, NC— January 31, 2015|
|Nov 11, 2014||Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Cardozo Law of Yeshiva University, and Montefiore Medical Center — Einstein-Cardozo Bioethics Program — New York, NY — February 18, 2015|
|Nov 11, 2014||Tufts University — Public Health and Professional Degree Programs — Boston, MA|
|Nov 7, 2014||University of Texas at Austin — Graduate Program in Molecular Carcinogenesis — Austin, TX|
|Nov 7, 2014||Harvard University — Master of Medical Sciences (MMSc) in Immunology — Boston, MA|
|Nov 4, 2014||Washington University in St. Louis — The Division of Biology and Biomedical Sciences — St. Louis, MO|
|Oct 19, 2014||University of South Florida — Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology — Tampa, FL|
|Oct 13, 2014||University Of Illinois — Master of Public Health Info Session — 1002 Huff Hall — November 7, 2014 2:30 - 4:00pm|
|Oct 10, 2014||University of Illinois Chiago — Department of Biological Sciences Annual Open House — Chiago, IL —October 24, 2014|
|Oct 9, 2014||Carnegie Mellon University — The Ph.D. program in Biological Sciences — Pittsburgh, PA|
|Oct 7, 2014||es University — Discover DMU — Des Moine, IA — November 5, 2014|
|Sept 17, 2014||Marquette University — Graduate studies in biological sciences — Milwaukee, WI|
|Sept 9, 2014||The Woodrow Wilson Teaching Fellowship — STEM Teaching — MI, GA, IN, NJ, OH — January 31, 2015|
|Aug 28, 2014||Northwestern University — Northwestern Law School's Master of Science in Law (MSL) degree — The Career Center Interview Suite (616 E. Green, C) — 12 - 1pm Oct 1, 2014|
|Aug 25, 2014||The Big Ten+ — Big Ten+ Graduate School Exposition — Lafayette, IN — September 21 - 22, 2014|
|Aug 21, 2014||University of Michigan — Program in Biomedical Sciences (PIBS) — Ann Arbor, MI— Oct 2-3, 2014|
|Post Date||Company / Institution — Details|
|March 30, 2015||Wolfram Research — Human anatomy internship: Wolfram Research is looking for a self-motivated individual with exceptional research skills, demonstrated initiative, industry knowledge, and the ability to generate collect quantifiable data on human anatomy in a computable format.|
|Jan 27, 2015||The Atlantis Project — Hospital internships within government-run hospitals in Europe.|
|Dec 18, 2014||Multiple Institutions — SRF Summer Scholars Program: Regenerative Medicine Summer Internship Opportunity. Programs offer undergraduate students the opportunity to conduct biomedical research to combat diseases of aging, such as cancer, Alzheimer’s, and macular degeneration.|
|Dec 9, 2014||Hampshire College —The Reproductive Rights Activist Service Corps (RRASC) is a 10-week paid summer internship program sponsored by the Civil Liberties and Public Policy Program at Hampshire College in Amherst, MA.|
|Post Date||Company — Position — Type — Location — Application Deadline|
|May 6, 2015||U of I — Undergrad Research position in Biochemistry Laboratory — For Credit — On Campus — Immediately until filled|
|April 23, 2015||Washington University School of Medicine — Clinical Research Coordinator — St. Louis, MO — Immediately until filled|
|April 5, 2015||We Are Camps! — Science Camp Instructors —Summer Full Time — Various Locations|
|April 2, 2015||Filled U of I — Academic Hourly Technician — Full Time — Immediately until filled|
|March 29, 2015||Filled Cytovance — Microbiologist — Full Time — Oklahoma City, OK — Immediately until filled|
|Jan 22, 2015||U of I — Lab Assistant - Cleaning / Maintenance — Part Time — On Campus|
|Oct 22, 2014||Atlantis Project — Hospital Intern — Internship — Europe|
|Oct 22, 2014||PhysAssist Scribes — Scribe at OSF Saint Francis — Full Time — Peoria, IL|
|September 17, 2014||Proctor & Gamble — Various (in conjunction with ACES & Sciences Career Fair) — Full Time — Cincinnati, OH — Oct 13, 2014|
|September 9, 2014||Woodrow Wilson Teaching Fellowships — Full Time — Various (MI, GA, IN, NJ, OH) — October 13, 2014|
|Aug 29, 2014||U of I DIA — MCB Tutor — Part Time — on campus|
|Aug 29, 2014||Oak Street Health — Clinical Informatics Specialist/Scribe — Full Time — Chiago, IL|
|Post Date||Institution — Program — Location — Application Deadline|
|Feb 11, 2015||University of Illinois — Discoveries in Bioimaging — Urbana, IL — March 15, 2015|
|Feb 2, 2015||University of Colorado Medical School — Gates Center Summer Internship Program — Aurora, CO — February 16, 2015|
|Jan 27, 2015||Columbia University — Postbac Premed Program — New York, NY — February 1, 2015|
|Jan 26, 2015||Des Moines University — Health Professions Advanced Summer Scholars program - DMU Health P.A.S.S. — Des Moine, IA — February 15, 2015|
|Jan 23, 2015||SMCB — MCB Summer Research Opportunity Program & Jenner Family Summer Research Internship — Urbana, IL — February 13, 2015|
|Jan 8, 2015||University of Michigan Health System — Summer at Michigan for Undergraduate Research Training — Ann Arbor, MI — January 16, 2015|
|Dec 19, 2014||UC Berkeley — 2015 Amgen Scholars Summer Research Program — Berkeley, CA — February 2, 2015|
|Dec 18, 2014||University of Illinois —2015 BioNanotechnology Summer Institute — Urbana, IL — March 6, 2015|
|Dec 18, 2014||Multiple — Summer Medical and Dental Education Program — Multiple|
|Dec 18, 2014||Weill Cornell/Rockefeller/Sloan-Kettering — The 2015 Gateways to the Laboratory Summer Program — New York, NY — Feb 1, 2015|
|Dec 11, 2014||Des Moines University — Health Professions Advanced Summer Scholars Program — Des Moines, IA — February 15, 2015|
|Dec 3, 2014||Joseph M. Sanzari Children's Hospital — 2015 Summer Clinical Research Internship in Pediatrics — Hackensack, NJ — March 1, 2015|
|Dec 3, 2014||University of Chicago — The Conte Center for Computational Neuropsychiatric Genomics — Chicago, IL — February 9, 2015|
|Dec 3, 2014||University of Chicago — The Genes & Addiction NIDA Center for GWAS in Outbred Rats — Chicago, IL — February 9, 2015|
|Nov 9, 2014||University of Texas Southwestern — Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program — Dallas, TX|
|Nov 9, 2014||University of Iowa —Summer Undergrad Research Opportunity in MIcrobiology — Iowa City, IA|
|Nov 6, 2014||University of Michigan — Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) — Ann Arbor, MI — January 16, 2015|
|Sept 24, 2014||American Association of Medical College — Comprehensive List of Summer Undergraduate Research Programs|
Workshops and Seminars
SMCB provides links to realiable and trusted resouces for its students concerning career choices. These resources are monitored routinely and new items are added on an ongoing basis. So, please be sure to check back from time to time.
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) has recently updated their Career Readiness Competencies.
- Accredited MBA Guide and Resources
The guide lists information such as:
- Online MBA Programs List
- Breakdown of Included Programs and School Information
- Understanding MBA Rankings
- GMAT, GRE, and TOEFL Study Guide
- How to Pay for your MBA (Financing guide)
- How to Pick an Online MBA
- How to Get into Business School
- Why you Should NOT Get an MBA
- The Career Center. The Career Center serves all students of The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign regarding professional and career development. Through collaborative and innovative programs, services, and resources, the staff seeks to educate and empower students to actively plan their futures as contributing members of a global community.
- Workshop - Career Options With An MCB Degree,from Oct 29th 2013. What you can do with a degree in MCB? What are your future professional goals? What options do you have in the “real world”? MCB Advisor Brad Mehrtens will present on various career options one has with a degree in MCB.
- Job Search 101 videos. Provided by the Career Center.
- Pre-health advising: For help furthering your pre-health career, the university has pre-health counselors located in the Career Center. Make sure to subecribe to the Health Careers Chronicle weekly email and participate in a mock interview. In addition to the counselors the center has many excellent resources on its website.
- The U of I's Virtual Job Board, an excelllent resource for current on-campus openings. There are typically one or more laboratory positions available at any given time.
- I-Link at the Career Center. Students can search for internships, employment opportunities, as well as sign-up for interviews, and view a full calendar of career programs and events.
- MCB Intership Overview: A guide to finding biology-related internships in industry, government and academia.
- "Making the Most of Career Fairs" - an article from Science Magazine adapted by Heather Minks, Director of Biotechnology Career Services.
- How to Attend and Get the Most Out of a Virtual Job Fair - a good article on utilizing this valuable resource.
- 11 Reasons Graduates Lose Out on Jobs - an interesting article from the Undercover Recruiter.
- http://www.accreditedonlinecolleges.org - provides tons of information for current and prospective graduate students. A master’s degree is becoming more popular because of the excess in bachelor’s degree holders competing for a fixed number of jobs. They have built a directory that contains over 90,000 program listings and allows you to determine which program features are most important to you so you can identify the program that best matches your personal interests and career goals. They have also created a database of over 5,000 scholarships for graduate and post-graduate study areas which interested student can pursue to help finance their education.
- Accredited Online Schools & Colleges - The site provides a comprehensive and informative resource that sorts out schools with accredited degree programs. It can be specifically filtered according to the degree level and the subjects/programs of your choice. If you type the name of your school in the 'Search for a school' box, it will appear that it's included in the list of Schools offering Accredited degree programs. This is free to use and will remain open to all users.
- The Occupational Information Network (O*NET) is a free online database that contains hundreds of occupational definitions to help students, job seekers, businesses and workforce development professionals to understand today's world of work in the United States. It was developed under the sponsorship of the US Department of Labor/Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA) through a grant to the North Carolina Employment Security Commission (now part of the NC Commerce Department) during the 1990s. John L. Holland's vocational model, often referred to as the Holland Codes, is used in the "Interests" section of the O*NET.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics has lots of valuable data that can be used when investigating careers. The various professional societies pertinent to biologists can be found on the site via a simple search. The following is an incomplete list of the societies.