School of Molecular and Cellular Biology Convocation Website
Due to the global pandemic, in-person ceremonies scheduled for May 2020 have been postponed and will be rescheduled when it is safe to gather again. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy watching and rewatching our virtual celebrations.
The School of MCB Virtual Convocation Ceremony is available to re-watch here.
Download your copy of the School of MCB Convocation Program (PDF) and follow along with our virtual celebration.
Spring 2020 School of MCB Virtual Convocation Ceremony
The School of MCB virtual ceremony lasts approximately 53 minutes and recognizes students earning a Ph.D., M.S. or B.S. from the School of Molecular & Cellular Biology. The presentation features Powerpoint slides for each participant, which may include a photo, name, list of honors and post-graduation plans. Each graduate's name is read as the slides are shown.
Spring 2020 university-wide Online Commencement Celebration
Re-watch the university-wide online Commencement celebration at go.illinois.edu/celebration. This celebration lasts approximately 15 minutes.
Spring 2020 Congratulatory Video from the College of LASAlthough we weren't able to celebrate in person, the College of LAS would like to congratulate the Class of 2020 via this video — featuring Dean Hu, some of your beloved professors and instructors, and a special musical guest.
In June, students will be sent a diploma cover, printed convocation program, printed awards ceremony program (if applicable), printed certificate (if applicable), and an MCB branded lanyard to the address indicated on their registration form.
Eligibility for Convocation Participation
The following students are eligible to participate in the School of MCB May 2020 virtual ceremony.
- Undergraduates who have completed degree requirements in August 2019 or December 2019
- Undergraduates who will complete degree requirements in May 2020 or August 2020.
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
- Bachelor of Science in LAS with a major in MCB Honors Concentration
- Bachelor of Science in LAS with a major in MCB
- Graduate students who have completed degree requirements in August 2019 or December 2019.
- Graduate students who will complete degree requirements in May 2020. PhD students must have deposited their thesis by 5:00 PM on the posted deadline.
- Master of Science from one of the following departments: Biochemistry, Cell & Developmental Biology, Microbiology, Molecular & Integrative Physiology.
- Master of Science from one of the following programs: Biophysics & Quantitative Biology or Neuroscience.
- Master of Science from the School of Molecular & Cellular Biology.
- Doctor of Philosophy from one of the following departments: Biochemistry, Cell & Developmental Biology, Microbiology, Molecular & Integrative Physiology.
- Doctor of Philosophy from one of the following programs: Biophysics & Quantitative Biology or Neuroscience.
- Order regalia to wear for photos and family celebrations this spring at http://herff.ly/illinois, You may keep this regalia to use for the rescheduled ceremony.
- Request a refund for unopened regalia that was sent to your home, http://www.herffjones.com/collegereturns
- Reroute previously ordered regalia to your permanent address for free, http://www.herffjones.com/HomeDelivery
Note about ceremony postponment: You may still order regalia, cancel your previous order, or have your previous order shipped to your home using the following links. Early order prices will remain in effect until the ordering deadline - April 29, 2020.
Herff Jones’ customer service number is 800-837-4235, 8 a.m. -5 p.m. Monday – Friday. Refunds may take longer than the normal 7 to 10 days due to volume. We will provide updated registration and regalia ordering information closer to the rescheduled Commencement ceremony date.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign graduates wear custom regalia designed specifically for the campus. Academic attire consists of a blue mortarboard, blue gown and, in the case of a graduate degree, a hood.
Caps and gowns are blue. The tassel is worn on the right front quadrant of the mortarboard and is moved to the left after the degree has been conferred. Bachelor's regalia includes an orange stole, gown, keeper cap, and a white tassel (indicative of the College of LAS). Students may order an orange and blue souvenir tassel. Students will receive a cap that is one size fits all. You do not need to return the cap (or your stole or tassel), so you may decorate it, if you choose. However, we ask that you decorate the cap in a tasteful manner, and we reserve the right not to allow students to wear caps that are deemed distasteful during the ceremony.
The gown and stole arrive folded and will require steaming (do not iron). Bronze Tablet recipients wear an orange and blue braided cord over their left shoulder. Cords and a certificate will be mailed to recipients once the Chancellor has made formal announcements in mid to late April.
For Master’s and Doctoral degree candidates, the color of the velvet on the hood indicates the field of study, and the tassel is black.
If you have any further questions regarding convocation, please contact Tina Knox at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 217-333-6774.
View videos and programs from past MCB Convocation Ceremonies below.Video of The School of MCB Convocation Ceremony, May 12, 2019
Video of The School of MCB Convocation Ceremony, May 13, 2018
Video of The School of MCB Convocation Ceremony, May 14, 2017
School of MCB Convocation Program May 15, 2016
Video of The School of MCB Convocation Ceremony, Saturday, May 12, 2012.