The School of Molecular & Cellular Biology attends several events throughout the year to meet with prospective students. At these events you will be able to speak with current graduate students, our graduate program coordinator, and faculty to learn earn more about MCB and its departments.
We typically recruit PhD students at the following events:
We're excited to invite prospective students to participate in the 2023 ASPIRE Illinois Summer Webinar Series and the 2023 ASPIRE Illinois Campus Visit, hosted by the Graduate College at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
Upcoming ASPIRE Illinois webinars
- June 29: "Navigating the Aspire Illinois Application in Slate" – Elaina Mullins, Assistant Director of Admissions & Enrollment Management Services
- July 6: "Applying to Graduate School" – Meg Siebenhar, Senior Associate Director, Admissions, Registration & Enrollment Services
- July 13: "Writing Personal Statements" – Carolyn Wisniewski, Director of the Writers Workshop
- July 20: "Personal Branding & Social Media" – John Moist, Digital Media Specialist
- July 27: "Financing Your Graduate Education" – Ken Vickery, Director of Fellowships
- August 3: "Values-Based Career Decision Making" – Derek Attig, Assistant Dean, Career & Professional Development & Mike Firmand, Associate Director, Career & Professional Development
- August 10: "Recommendations that Work" – Lisa R. Abston, Assistant Dean for Graduate Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Become an ASPIRE Illinois Candidate
We also offer the opportunity to be designated an ASPIRE Illinois Candidate. This special designation will entitle you to an application fee waiver in the fall, enable us to connect you with administrators and faculty in your program of interest, and allow you to attend a special in-person visit in the fall. Please note that ASPIRE candidates who are admitted to a qualifying  graduate program at Illinois, are eligible to be nominated by their program for a Graduate College fellowship, which includes a special fellowship set aside for ASPIRE Illinois Candidates. To be designated as an ASPIRE Illinois Candidate, you must complete your brief ASPIRE application by the August 11 deadline, which includes a brief 150-word interest statement and your unofficial transcript. The ASPIRE Illinois application will be used to introduce you to your program of choice as an ASPIRE Illinois Candidate.
2023 ASPIRE Illinois Campus Visit
ASPIRE Illinois candidates are invited to attend an in-person visit program October 15-16, 2023, to learn about our stellar graduate programs, tour our campus and facilities, and learn about the culture and community offered to graduate students at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Hotel accommodations, meals, and transportation will be covered for the fall visit program. Find additional details about the program here.
As more events are finalized, we will post our plans here.
We look forward to getting to know you!
Admitted student weekends
Spring 2022 recruiting events have passed.
If you have any questions about recruiting, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.